As part of the International Baccaleaurate Middle Years Programme, all 8th graders complete a community project at Eliot-Hine Middle School. The community project provides an opportunity for students to collaborate and pursue service learning. Students work in groups, conduct research, and practice public speaking when they present in front of a panel of judges.
This year, Ms. Harris’ all-girls advisory is researching homelessness. Each week they stay after school, even coming in on weekends or when they have days off, and have been researching how a homeless shelter is run, what types of homeless shelters are in the DC area, the statistics on homelessness broken down by various groups, and more. A big objective of their project is changing the negative rhetoric around homelessness and teaching everyone to be more compassionate. To take it one step further, these students are raising awareness in their community by hosting a feminine hygiene product drive. They have even partnered with local alumnae of Agnes Scott College, a women’s college in Atlanta, to raise funds. All the proceeds will go to House of Ruth, a women and children’s shelter in DC, and they are so excited to show the community ways people can support these shelters!
If you would like to support their project and make a donation, please stop by Eliot-Hine’s main office during school hours. Items will be collected until Wednesday, May 17. More details on the flyer here.
Eliot-Hine is buzzing this semester with a variety of events from a MLK Day Service Project to 8th graders and their families meeting about their upcoming IB MYP community project, along with basketball games and ski trips! It is also so exciting to continue meet Eliot-Hine’s feeder families (Maury ES, Miner ES, Payne ES, and School-Within-School@Goding) at Buddy Days and the monthly Eliot-Hine Open Houses. Check out Eliot-Hine for yourself at any of the events below!
Upcoming Eliot-Hine events:
- Tuesday, 1/24: Ski trip and school visit to Ron Brown HS
- Wednesday, 1/25: Maury Buddy Day
- Thursday, 1/26: 9:30 AM & 6 PM – Open House
- Tuesday, 1/31: Miner ES Buddy Day
- Wednesday, 2/1: Payne ES Buddy Day
- Tuesday, 2/7: SWS@Goding Buddy Day
- Wednesday, 2/8: 6 PM – PTO Meeting
- Friday, 2/10: Ski trip and EHMS Picture Day
- Wednesday, 2/15: 9:30 AM – Open House
- Tuesday, 2/28: Black History Month Assembly
Remaining basketball games:
- Tuesday, 1/24 vs. Hart MS: Away game
- Monday, 1/30 vs. McKinley MS: Away game
- Wednesday, 2/1 vs. Jefferson Academy: Away game
Below are photos from the Eliot-Hine vs. Johnson MS boys game on January 10, 2017.
January 2017 School Events:
- Week of 9-13th: Spirit Week!
- Wednesday, 11th: 6 PM – PTO Meeting
- Wednesday, 11th: 7 PM – Mandatory 8th grade parent meeting to discuss 8th grade IB community service project, prom, and 8th grade trip.
- Saturday, 14th: 9 AM – 1 PM, MLK Weekend Day of Service at Eliot-Hine MS
- Thursday, 26th: 9:30 AM & 6 PM – Open House*
*There will also be another Open House on Wednesday, February 15th at 9:30 AM.
January 2017 Basketball Game Schedule:
- Tuesday, 10th: 4:45 PM & 6 PM vs. Johnson MS (Home game)
- Thursday, 12th: 4:45 PM & 6 PM vs. Kelly Miller MS (Home game)
- Saturday, 14th: 9 AM & 10: 15 AM vs. Hardy MS (Away at Jefferson)
- Wednesday, 18th: 4:45 PM & 6 PM vs. Brookland MS (Home game)
- Tuesday, 24th: 4:45 PM & 6 PM vs. Hart MS (Away)
- Thursday, 26th: 4:45 PM & 6 PM vs. Sousa MS (Away)
- Monday, 30th: 4:45 PM & 6 PM vs. McKinley MS (Away)
All events can be found on the Eliot-Hine MS calendar. Call the main office at (202) 939-5380 with any questions.