RBHS Cabinet Meeting Minutes and the Phase II Construction Update are below. To learn more about what the RBHS Kings have been up to, visit their Twitter page at https://twitter.com/RBHSMonarchs.
RBHS Speakers Series
Ron Brown College Preparatory High School will launch a weekly speakers series as part of its College and Career Exploration Program. It is designed around the three core pillars of the school – to develop a young man’s character, academic curiosity, and service toward his community.
Ron Brown HS June Meeting
Cabinet members heard updates on the school’s enrollment, facilities, and hiring plans, learned about DCPS’ 500 for 500 mentoring program in order to apply lessons learned when considering RBHS’ mentoring program concept, and provided feedback on the role of the Community Cabinet moving forward.
Demolition of the first floor began in April 2016. Listed below are updates from the construction team. We have included pictures so you can see the work that has been done thus far. Click on this link for pictures – https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sjui3mzi6wx4hl7/AACgtv7wRfwU6rGB-mcc3ojqa?dl=0.
Academic Wing – First Floor
- Demolition is performing punchlist (small tasks) items on the 1st Floor.
- Abatement is complete on the 1st Floor.
- MEP (mechanical, engineering, & plumbing) contractors are installing hangers in the academic corridor spaces. Ductwork will be arriving by the end of the week and plumbing pipe installation to begin by the end of this week.
Academic Wing – Second Floor
- Demolition is ongoing with wall, above ceiling MEP, and flooring being removed.
- Containments are being set up for abatement and abatement is planned to begin next week on the 2nd Floor.
Multipurpose Wing – First Floor
- Performing punchlist on demolition items.
- Abatement is complete.
- MEP contractors are coordinating in the multi-purpose wing.
- Layout for underground plumbing is ongoing and slab cuts will begin on Thursday, 4/28, for the underground pipe trenches.
- Ductwork installation began in the fraternity hall space.
Multipurpose Wing – Second Floor
- Abatement is complete on the floor tile in the corridor area. Abatement is ongoing in the stairwells. Abatement on the auditorium floor tile will begin the week of May 2nd.
- The corridor plaster ceiling has been removed and demolition is ongoing in the locker room area.
- Boiler Room
- Demolition is complete.
- Link Corridor
- Openings have been made in the 2nd Floor façade to remove materials from the 2nd Floor and demolition of the stairwell at the link will begin week of May 2nd.
- MEP contractors are laying out above ceiling work and installing hangers in the link corridor.
EMHS Gets A New Name & Mascot/Logo
After a month of taking comments on the proposed name of the school and on 3 schools mascot options, we finally have the results. Students, families, and community members told us what they wanted – and we listened. In August the doors will open to the new Ron Brown College Preparatory High School. We are the MONARCHS! The lion “Monarchs” represents a strong leader- a king of the land. He represents trust and integrity and service for his people.
EMHS Facilities Update
The Empowering Males High School Community Cabinet received a presentation from the DCPS Facilities Team about the timeline of the construction project and the scope of work that needs to be completed. Cabinet Members were introduced to members of the construction and design teams. Each team provided an update on the phased modernization taking place at the former Ron Brown Middle School. See below to view the meeting notes and presentation deck.
Proposed Name Change for Empowering Males High School
DCPS is proposing a change to the name of the former Ron Brown Middle School, located at 4800 Meade St. NE, Washington, DC, 20019. Pending public comment, effective May 1, 2016, the school will be named Ron Brown College Preparatory High School. This school will be Washington, DC’s only public, all-male, college-preparatory high school that places significant emphasis on humanities and languages, which will ensure that every young man graduates with the skills necessary to be successful in college and career.
DCPS proposed maintaining the current name of the school with minimal modification and engaged the district-wide Empowering Males High School Community Cabinet, with representation from every ward of the city, including Ward 7 ANC, and civic representation. DCPS will inform the community of the new school name through DCPS social media, information on its website, community listservs, and communication with students and families who have applied to the school.
For further information and/or to submit public commentary, please contact the Empowering Males High School Working Group, DCPS Office of Family and Community Engagement at EMHS@dc.gov or 202-719-6613. Click here for the official link to the DC Register.
EMHS Enrollment Begins!
The Empowering Males High School will host a series of enrollment events for families who were matched on April 1 via the My School DC Lottery. EMHS families also received letters from Principal Ben Williams, via email and USPS, to notify them that their son would be a member of the class of 2020, the first class of ninth grade students at the new Empowering Males High School. Each EMHS family can enroll each Saturday during the month of April, beginning April 9 at Kelly Miller Middle School. For families who are not available on Saturdays, there are two evening opportunities on April 14 and 28 at the Deanwood Recreation Center.
EMHS APRIL ENROLLMENT DATES
|4/9/16||Kelly Miller Middle School||10:00 a.m – 2:00 p.m|
|4/14/16||Deanwood Recreation Center||6:30 p.m – 8:30 p.m|
|4/16/16||Kelly Miller Middle School||9:00 a.m – 12:00 p.m|
|4/23/16||Kelly Miller Middle School||9:00 a.m – 12:00 p.m|
|4/28/16||Deanwood Recreation Center||6:30 p.m – 8:30 p.m|
|4/30/16||Kelly Miller Middle School||9:00 a.m – 12:00 p.m|