The period to submit nominations opened on June 14 and ended on September 7. Please stay tuned to our blog for the next round of community input later this fall.
The DCPS school planning team is asking for the public to submit nominations to officially name “New North MS” that will open on the campus of Coolidge High School for the 2019 – 2020 academic school year. This public and community driven process is driven by the DCPS School Naming Policy
Your nomination may be based on a person or a place. While there are general requirements for all nominations, one based on an individual has additional and more specific requirements. Please see the requirements below but also please take time to review the full DCPS School Naming Policy
General Requirements for all nominations
All names, whether they are based on a person or a place, must meet the following general requirements:
- The name symbolizes a contribution to society, including contributions made to the local school community
- The name will lend prestige and status to an institution of learning
- The name represents the DCPS mission, vision, and values.
Specific Requirements for nominations based on a person
All names based on a person must be the following requirements:
- The individual must not be a living person
- The individual must have been deceased for at least two (2) years; and
- Only the individual’s given name as well as their surname may be used
(e.g. “Paul Lawrence Dunbar High School” rather than “Dunbar High School”)