Did you know Eliot-Hine has track & field, ski club, and two gyms? That’s just the beginning! To learn more about Eliot-Hine’s athletics program and offerings, we spoke to their Athletics Director, Ms. Tanisha Kemp. You can also follow their updates on Twitter: @EHMSAthletics. Questions regarding Eliot-Hine’s Athletics can be directed to Ms. Kemp at email@example.com or her cell, (443) 799-9432.
- Previously I have shared updates from Eliot-Hine’s basketball teams and ski club. What are all the sports offered? We have basketball, track and field, cross country, football, bowling, softball, cheerleading, and a ski club.
- What sport facilities do you all have on campus? We have a baseball field and two gyms. Watkins ES is currently using one of our gym while they are swinging in a part of our building and we are happy they were therefore able to have a basketball team this year. Our softball field is housed at Eastern HS and sometimes we also share Eastern’s track, which is a treat for middle schoolers!
- What sport team always surprises people? Bowling! Our girls had a fantastic season and came in 4th place. The team comprised of mostly 6th graders and they were all first-timers.
- How does athletics support the IB framework at Eliot-Hine? Sports are global and ideal forum for community and sharing. Think of soccer around the world and events like the Olympics that unite the community. Lessons my students learn in athletics can be applied to real-life situations: discipline, dedication, and collaboration. In order for you to be a scholar athlete, you have to be able to work with others and communicate. We practice this inside the classroom and on the field.
- Anything new for next school year, SY17-18? Ms. Weaver will be coaching volleyball. DCIAA will also offer wrestling and lacrosse for middle school soon. We hope to have these as it is a great opportunity for our students learn a new sport.
Want to support or check out Eliot-Hine’s teams in action? Here is their spring schedule.