Dual Language families, see the below presentation we’ve been sharing with families at our dual language elementary schools about MacFarland Middle School over the past several months. The highlights:
- MacFarland is opening with a 6th grade dual language program in August, about 4 blocks north of the Georgia Ave/Petworth metro station. All students in DCPS dual language programs have a guaranteed seat.
- In years past, most DCPS dual language students have left bilingual programs before they get to middle school — MacFarland gives families a guaranteed opportunity to continue learning in two languages.
- All the research shows that students who continue in bilingual education have better outcomes in reading and math than those who leave dual language.
- MacFarland’s program is based on the Oyster Adams middle school model. Students take English Humanities and Spanish Humanities. Math is taught in English, Science is in Spanish. Students take an enrichment block to get extra help in a language or learn a third language.
- DCPS is piloting a global education program at MacFarland next year — both global education and dual language will align with programming at Roosevelt High School.
- The deadline to reserve your seat is Tuesday, March 1st — submit your application for MacFarland Dual Language right away!
Open the presentation below for more detailed information, including the process for how MacFarland will grow from 6th grade dual language program to full 6-8 middle school.
Still have questions? Contact us at DCPS.Planning@dc.gov.